Your home’s roof is one of the most expensive components of your structure. The average Canadian residential roof costs $4,750. If you’re purchasing a new home, that’s not an expense you want to add to all of the other costs associated with moving. While you can’t be absolutely sure that you are buying a home with a quality roof without an inspection, there are a number of signs that can give you a good idea of the condition of a home’s roof. Our Collingwood roofers tell you what to look for.
What to look for in a roof on a home you’re considering purchasing
1. A good ventilation system. Good ventilation keeps moisture and condensation from collecting at the top of your home. Even if the roof looks good, you should be wary of a house without good ventilation. Look for a house that allows good air flow and that lets in a good amount of natural light.
2. Mold on the roof. Mold is a sure sign that there’s been moisture on the roof for an extended period of time. This might be due to old shingles that are retaining moisture or from poor ventilation that’s causing condensation to form along the eaves.
3. Signs of leaks inside the house. Tell-tale signs of water leaking from the roof include discolored spots on the drywall or ceiling, bubbles in the paint on the walls, and that distinctive smell of mildew. Even if you don’t see a problem on the roof, these signs tell you water is or has been, a problem for this house.
4. A well-functioning drainage system. Clogged or absent gutters and drain pipes can cause rainwater and melting snow to accumulate on the roof, compromising the wood and shingles around your eaves. Signs of a poor drainage system include ruts in the landscaping around the house and pools of water where it has cascading off of the roof line.
5. Loose shingles. Sometimes you can just glance at the roof and tell the roof has issues. Loose or missing shingles could be the result of a recent storm, or they could have been allowed to remain unrepaired and given water an opportunity to get inside the house’s walls.
Working with quality Collingwood roofers
A good roofing contractor can help you identify and repair any issues you may find with your new home. Ainger Group Roofing and Exteriors is one of the best Collingwood roofers. We’ve been helping Ontario homeowners like you with their roof installation, repair, and maintenance needs for more than 25 years. Contact us today for a free estimate.