Many homeowners sandwich home improvement projects and repairs around the cold, winter months. And while this is fine for many projects, putting off any roofing work until spring isn’t something you want to get into the habit of. In fact, there are some key advantages to contacting our Collingwood roofing contractors during the winter to have service performed on your roof. In this post, we’ll cover some of the common wintertime problems that your roof is likely to experience and talk about some of the positives that are involved with not putting off roofing services until spring. Here’s a closer look:
Common Winter Time Issues
Let’s begin with taking a look at some of the common roofing issues that occur during the colder winter months.
- Flashing leaks: While it’s true that flashing leaks can be a problem at any point during the year, winter weather can specifically take its toll on these areas of the roof. Flashing is installed in areas where the roof meets other features, like chimneys, vents and skylights. Think of it like roof siding. Flashing, however, can also be problematic and lead to leaks – and it’s commonly damaged or compromised following inclement weather.
- Ice dams: Ice dams occur when melting roof snow refreezes as it reaches the gutters, thereby potentially creating a blockage where snow runoff cannot properly drain. If not corrected swiftly, ice dams can lead to shingle damage and increase the potential for a leak into the home.
- Shingle damage: Shingle damage has the potential to occur at any point of the year, and the winter months are a time to be wary of this as ice dams and wind gusts can cause cracking and warping. Any shingle damage only compromises the overall integrity of the roof.
Pros of Winter Roofing Projects
While winter isn’t often associated with the time of year to have roofing work performed, there are several advantages of doing so during the cold weather months. Here’s a look at some of them:
- A good defense against the elements: Perhaps the biggest reason to have winter roofing work performed is that you can rest assured that it will stand up to anything that Mother Nature throws at it. What’s more is that waiting for spring or summer to assess any suspected issues is only likely to make it – and the threat of any subsequent home damage – even worse.
- Better contractor availability. Being that there’s often less demand for roofing services during the winter months. It can present a great opportunity to resolve your roofing issues compared to the availability during the spring and summer busy months.
- Peace of mind: It’s not a great feeling to be hunkering down during a winter storm wondering how well your roof is going to stand up. By having service performed, you can relax and rest assured that it’s well equipped to handle anything.
For more information on the pros of having winter roofing work performed and to schedule your appointment, contact our Collingwood roofing contractors today.